Resources Contracting in India: A Guide for International Contractors

Contracting in India: A Guide for International Contractors

As part of the BRIC group of economically powerful nations (Brazil, Russia, India, and China), India can be an excellent destination for international contractors, especially those skilled in IT and finance.  When you consider the potential compensation levels with the low cost of living and the rich cultural heritage, India can turn out to be a satisfying and lucrative choice if you find the right situation.

This guide will cover the basic steps for getting started with contracting in India. It will also give an overview of the tax residency criteria, how to obtain the right work permit and the best way to get paid.

How do I get paid as a contractor in India?

The first thing to think about is how you are going to contract and get paid in India.  It is one thing to contract remotely from your home country, but it’s far more challenging to relocate and work in-country as a contractor/self-employed.  Once you have secured your client contract and taken care of logistics, the financial and payment challenges remain.

There are a few options for getting paid in India. This choice will depend on your experience contracting abroad and the preference of your Indian client.  Employment law in India also regulates the hiring of contractors, so that may be quite different from your previous experience in other countries.  For example, only companies in India with a special license as a ‘principal employer’ can hire contractors.

No matter which of these options you choose, your Indian client will need to withhold taxes just as if you were an employee, which means having a Permanent Account Number (PAN).  Contracts may be limited to 240 days, after which you might be deemed an employee.

Contract as Your Own Foreign Limited Company

It may appear easiest to just use your existing foreign limited company to contract with your Indian clients.  This is legal if the correct process is followed. However, many Indian businesses are reluctant to hire contractors if their limited company is registered abroad.

The reason for this is that under Indian law, non-compliance by the contractor can also be imputed to the Indian client/company, who could end up blacklisted from hiring foreigners in the future.  You would have to demonstrate to your client that you are familiar with how to comply with all self-employment and business regulations to overcome any resistance.  This is probably only practical for short-term projects, and experienced contractors.

See also  5 Ways To Get Your Contract Extended

Set Up Your Own Indian Limited Company as Self-Employed

Another option is to set up yourself in India as a registered self-employed.  This will be similar to establishing a business in most countries, with required registration, fees and criteria.  Due to the complex Indian bureaucracy and need for professional assistance, it may only be suitable for a contractor planning to work long-term in India.

Use an Indian Umbrella Company

Given the complications with the other methods, savvy contractors will avoid those problems altogether and use an Indian umbrella company.  The umbrella company takes care of all the administrative work associated with your contract and acts as an intermediary between you and your Indian clients.

This helps reduce uncertainty for both the contractor and client. This is because the umbrella company will make sure that you comply while making all the correct withholding and contributions.  Even with the support of an umbrella company, you will still manage all of your work methods and deliverables.  This is a good option for those new to contracting in India or in general.

What visas do I need as a contractor in Ind?

You will need to obtain an Indian work visa, which must be sponsored by an approved ‘employer’.  Even if your client agrees to sponsor you, when you change clients you will also need a new visa.  This is one area where using an umbrella company can be so helpful, as they can act as your visa sponsor, and you can change or add clients as often as you wish.

An umbrella company in India will need to have a license and approval as a sponsor. Then, they will take care of all the paperwork for you.  Otherwise, you will have to rely on your clients’ goodwill to sponsor you or attempt it DIY as a domestic limited company.

See also  What Are the Options for Health Insurance For Contractors?

How to File Taxes in India

Tax rates in India range from 0-30% depending on income level after deductions.  There are no special tax rates for ex-pat contractors.  The filing deadline is July 31st.

Tax Year: 1 April – 30 March

Step 1: Register for e-Filing

Register on the Income Tax Department’s e-filing website here. You will need your PAN. This is a 10-digit alphanumeric number, issued in the form of a laminated card by the Income Tax Department. If you do not have a PAN, you can apply for one here.

Step 2: Log in to e-Filing

Once you have registered for e-Filing, you can sign in here, with your User ID, Password, Date of Birth and Captcha.

Step 3: File Taxes

Go to e-File and click on ‘Prepare and Submit ITR Online’. Select the Income Tax Return Form ITR 1 (for individuals receiving a salary, rent and interest income) or ITR 4S (for individuals receiving business, salary, rent, and interest income) and the Assessment Year. ITR 1 and ITR 4S are the forms available for filing online.

Fill in the details and click Submit. Upload Your Digital Signature Certificate (if applicable).

Step 4: Sign and Submit the ITR-V

Upon submitting successfully, the ITR-V is displayed. Click on the link and download the ITR-V. Print, sign, and submit the ITR-V to the Central Processing Centre (CPC) in Bangalore within 120 days of the date of filing. Check your email/SMS for reminders on non-receipt. You can check whether it has been received by clicking ‘e-Filing Processing Status’ under the ‘My Account’ tab on your e-Filing account.

(If you used a Digital Signature Certificate, there is no need to mail your ITR-V.)

Social Security in India

In addition to taxes, you will have to calculate social security contributions in India, under the Employees’ Provident Fund.  The amounts apply to international workers and are currently 12% of salary for both employees and employers. This is typically applied to employees. However, there is a trend toward including contractors in social security benefits when they work for their clients.

See also  8 Common Tax Mistakes Made By Globally Mobile Independent Contractors

If you (and your client) prefer to avoid EPF contributions, that may be possible if India has a social security totalization agreement with your home country.  You just have to show that you are paying into that home fund, and you can get an exception or an offset.  If you use an umbrella company, they can assist with determining whether contributions are required.

Tax Residency in India

Depending on your length of stay, you might become an Indian tax resident.  The tax status that most likely would apply to contractors is the Resident and Ordinarily Resident (ROR).  This applies when:

  • You are working in India for 182 days or more in the tax year; or
  • You are present in India for 60 days or more in the current tax year, and 365 days or more in the preceding four years

If you meet the ROR criteria, you are taxed on your worldwide income, not just Indian-sourced income.  In that case, you would need to look to a tax treaty between India and your home country to avoid double taxation.

How Contractor Taxation Helps with Contracting in India

Contractor Taxation has a network of umbrella companies in India.  We can connect you with the tax, immigration and residency specialists that you will need to comply with.  Trying a DIY approach in India will mean the time and expense of hiring experts to help you. Even then, you may not be sure that you are meeting all the requirements or maximizing your net earnings.

If you allow the umbrella company to handle these tasks, you will be free to focus on your client and workload, with the knowledge that you have a partner who is well versed in helping international contractors in India.  Please contact us so that we can get you started and prepared to enter the Indian work culture.

Contact Us

"*" indicates required fields

✓ Valid number ✕ Invalid number
I prefer:

By clicking submit, Campbell will introduce you by email to the best matched Umbrella Partners for your contract. It's the fastest way for Umbrella Companies to provide a detailed quote, scope of service and a projection of your net earnings. There will be no charge to you for this referral service. If you have any questions or need to talk at any stage, we're here to help.

Solutions Expert

Campbell Curtis
This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

By clicking submit, Campbell will introduce you by email to the best matched Umbrella Partners for your contract. It's the fastest way for Umbrella Companies to provide a detailed quote, scope of service and a projection of your net earnings. There will be no charge to you for this referral service. If you have any questions or need to talk at any stage, we're here to help.

The hand written name of Campbell Curtis who is the General Manager of Contractor Taxation. Campbell is an expert in helping contractors find the best Umbrella Company for their international contract.

Solutions Expert

A photo of Campbell Curtis, General Manager of Contractor Taxation. Campbell is relaxed, friendly and has many years of experience helping contractors find the best Umbrella Company for their international contracts.