China Work Permits

Immigration is one of the primary concerns for anybody hoping to start working in China. Permanent employees will find it easy to get their China work permit because they’ll receive “sponsorship” for their entire stay from their prospective employer. The Chinese work permit is dependent on this sponsorship because it confirms that you’ll be earning money during your stay in the country. Contracting in China is more difficult because the work permit is tied to one employer, so you have to change it to suit each new contract. Thankfully, umbrella companies provide a convenient and effective solution to this issue. 

China Work Permits

What is a Chinese Umbrella Company?

Umbrella companies in China “employ” contractors, but don’t make any decisions about your workload, clients or anything to do with your day to day operation. They simply process your payments by billing and collecting money from your clients, calculating your taxes and sending you a net wage. This is equivalent to the PAYE (pay as you earn) system employed by many companies, and it makes handling your tax in China a lot simpler. The fact that they technically become your employer helps you get your working visa in China with minimal fuss. 

How Can Umbrella Companies Help You Get a China Work Permit?

As your permanent employer, umbrella companies are able to sponsor you for your China work permit provided they’re on the register of approved sponsors. Many different companies offer this service, because it makes contracting in China infinitely simpler and saves you the hassle of continuous paperwork. Instead of changing your work permit every time you get a new contract, you can just work how you ordinarily would under the same permit. They protect you from the bureaucratic “rain” of legal compliance with the Chinese immigration authorities. They can even deal with the Chinese Embassy directly. 

Through their service you may be able to use a business visa to get started quickly and then transition to a work visa in China. It depends on your specific China visa requirements. Be aware you may have to register for a residence permit in China.

Can Umbrella Companies Also Assist You with China Taxation?

Some umbrella companies are specialists in the Chinese tax system. They constantly stay up to date with the legislation and ensure that you get to keep the biggest proportion of your earnings possible. The PAYE system is ideal for most workers because you don’t have to complete any paperwork (aside from submitting your timesheets to the umbrella company) or worry about your taxes in any way (you’ll receive documentation for your records, though). You have a team of experts ensuring that you’re paid promptly and the various requirements for tax in China are met. 

How We Help You with Contracting in China

We work closely with numerous umbrella companies in China and we have a thorough knowledge of the different services they provide - especially regarding immigration to China. If you’re a business analyst, IT project manager, software developer, tester, telecommunications contractor or an oil and gas worker, we can help you get sponsorship for your work permit and keep more of your earnings by setting you up with an umbrella company. We’ll also answer any questions you have about Chinese visas or the country’s tax law, and we’ll contact the experts directly to guarantee 100 percent accurate advice. This all comes at no charge whatsoever to you and you’re not obligated to take on the services of any company. We’re just here to make your move as stress-free as possible. 

Send your details for more information


Question and Answers about

Question and Answers about Work Permits in China

Q: Is it possible for a foreign national to be sponsored on a Work Permit in China?
A: Yes

Q: How long does it take to get a China Work Permit?
A: Around 4-6 weeks

Q: What is the visa process?
A: The Chinese company sponsoring the visa apply through the Chinese immigration authorities in China, once the Employment License is issued the candidate applies for the Employment/Work Visa (Z Visa) at the Chinese Consulate in their country of residence. On entry in China the candidate and employer submit an application at the local Labor & Social Security Bureau which then takes a further 15 days. Once approved the candidate will need to apply for the Residence Permit (done from within China).

Q: What documentation is required from the candidate?
A: Copies of: passport, CV, employment contract, education certificates.

Q: How much does it cost?
A: $1000 USD

Q: Can you transfer from a Business Visa to a Work Permit in China
A: No

Common Questions and Answers about Business Visas in China

Q: Can you organise business visas for China?
A: Yes

Q: How long does it take to process?
A: 5-7 days

Q: How much does a business visa in China cost?
A: $300 USD

Q: Can nationals of certain countries enter China without a Business Visa? For example on an entry visa or visa waiver?
A: Yes, those from; Singapore, Brunei and Japan