Umbrella Company in Spain

Independent contracting in Spain isn’t always straightforward. You’ve got immigration issues, tax difficulties, and mountains of complex admin work. Even worse, missteps can cost you serious money, or even land you in legal trouble.

Before you consider taking a contract in Spain, you should be aware of what you’re getting into – and how you can make it simpler.

Difficulties of Contracting in Spain

Generally, you need to have an employer sponsor in order to secure the appropriate work permit and work visa for Spain.

If you’re working independently, it can be difficult to find clients willing to sponsor you. Moreover, even if your client can do this, you’ll need a new sponsor each time you decide to take on a new contract. Of course, every new sponsor will mean more paperwork.

Also, are you familiar with the intricacies of the tax system in Spain, as well as your own country’s laws on overseas earnings? If so, good on you!

However, if you’re like the rest of us, figuring out (much less reducing) your tax liability in Spain and your home country can seem like full-time work in itself.

How Umbrella Companies Work

Most freelance workers aren’t superheroes who successfully tackle these issues all on their own. There are companies who specialise in helping workers make the most out of their contracts.

They’re called Umbrella Companies (or, contractor management companies).

Basically, an Umbrella Company acts as your full-time employer, even though you maintain your independence as a contractor. They collect and filter payments from your clients, filtering out the necessary social security and fees. You send them your timesheets, and they send you payments.

Because they act as your “employer,’ they can sponsor you and provide a single work permit for multiple contracts in Spain. Even better, most are experts in Spain and expat tax law, meaning they’ll also help you optimise your earnings in Spain.

Although the Umbrella Company is technically your “employer,” you’re essentially freeing yourself to work even more independently. You still dictate your contracts, your hours, your schedule. The Umbrella Company simply filters out the time-consuming admin and immigration issues, allowing you to focus on your new contract.

Why Use an Umbrella Company in Spain

Most people want to do their work, earn their money and enjoy their spare time without taking on loads of admin in a new country. That is why an umbrella company can help.

When you’re working through an Umbrella Company, you’ll essentially be outsourcing the admin and tax issues to specialists.

While the umbrella company will charge a fee, you’ll likely end up saving more money in the long run: you’ll be able to focus on your work, expertly reduce your tax liability, and comply with all laws and regulations in Spain (which means avoiding fees, fines, or even worse penalties).

How We Can Help You

There’s a huge variety of Umbrella Companies with different specialities and advantages in Spain. How do you find the right one for your circumstances?

We work closely with Umbrella Companies all throughout Spain and match contractors with the right company for them. If you’ve already secured a contract in Spain, we can help you find your best match (for free). Or, we can simply give you feedback on your situation (for free).


A Contractor’s Guide to Taxes in Spain

One of the most consistently challenging aspects of contracting in Spain is complying with the country’s tax system. As well as paying tax in Spain, you might also still be eligible to pay some tax in your home country, and understanding the legislation behind this can be a challenge. 

How do I calculate my taxable income in Spain

If you’re working in Spain under a permanent contract, many employers will handle your tax under the PAYE (pay-as-you-earn) system. This means that they calculate and process your taxes in Spain for you and then send you a net wage. Your income tax, public health insurance, social security and other deductions will all be covered by this payment. This is the easiest way to handle your income tax in Spain, but contractors may not be offered this service because of their short stay with each employer.

Anybody who can’t pay their tax in Spain through PAYE is left with the prospect of doing everything themselves.

Do you know much about Spanish Tax Law? Does Spain have a tax treaty with your home country? You will need to find out or find someone who can help! Income tax in Spain can range from 19 to 45 percent, but this may vary according to the autonomous community where you reside. You need to be sure you are placed in the correct tax brackets.

Tax Filing in Spain

When Do You Need to Lodge Your Tax Return?Tax year is the calendar year. Tax returns may be filed from May 1.
Tax Filing DeadlineJune 30
Can you file it online?Yes,

How to File Taxes in Spain

A personal income tax return should be filed by any resident whose gross income exceeds EUR 22,000 or EUR 12,000 for employees who obtain income from more than one employer. However, everyone must file a Spanish tax return in their first year of tax residency. The following steps outline the process to file tax returns.

Collect your identity card and register your obligation to pay tax

Step 1: Collect a Foreigner’s Identity Card (NIE) number through the local foreigner’s office(link is external) or police station(link is external) within 30 days of arrival into Spain. This usually takes 2-3 weeks to arrive.

  • Note: a Spanish national would be issued with a DNI (Spanish National ID) instead of the NIE.

Step 2: Using this NIE number, you must register your obligation to pay Spanish tax with the Agencia Tributaria(link is external) by filing Form 30(link is external). Guides for filing this form may be found here(link is external).

Option 1: Using a provisional declaration form (most common)

Step 3: From April 6, you can log into the Agencia Tributaria using your NIE and request a provisional declaration form (‘borrador’). This is a draft statement that is based on a limited amount of pre-filled information including employment, property and bank statements.

Step 4: Modify any existing information that is incorrect.

Step 5: Enter deductions that may offset your income. This includes:

  • Personal/marriage allowance
  • Deductions for children and dependents
  • Mortgage relief
  • Pension contributions
  • Rent
  • Time spent abroad for your employer.

Step 6: Tax residents must report assets from abroad exceeding EUR 50,000 using Form 720(link is external). This may also be submitted online. A minimum fine of EUR 20,000 may be imposed for breaching this obligation. Assets include:

  • Accounts in which the individual is the titleholder, or is a representative, authorized person or beneficiary, or has disposal powers.
  • Securities, rights, insurance and life or temporary annuities.
  • Real estate or rights on real estate.

Step 7: If you have tax due, you can pay in one go at your bank or choose to pay in 2 instalments by direct debit (end of June and November). Tax refunds will usually be paid into your account around 3 to 4 months after filing your tax return.

Option 2: Submit your own income tax declaration (for more complicated tax returns)

Step 3: Log into the Agencia Tributaria using your NIE.

Step 4: You can submit your own income tax declaration form without a borrador and this can be done online(link is external) by filing one of the following forms:

  • Form 100: Spanish income tax declaration for residents.
  • Form 150: Income tax declaration for non-residents.
  • A list of other forms that may apply can be found here(link is external).

Step 5: Enter in information relating to deductions.

Step 6: See steps 6 & 7 in Option 1.

Tax Figures in Spain

CurrencyEuro (EUR)
Tax-free Threshold in SpainNone
Income Tax Rates
Grossed IncomeTax Rate (%)
Up to 12,45019%
12,451 to 20,20024%
20,201 to 35,20030%
35,201 to 60,00037%
Above 60,00045%
NotesPersonal tax is levied on gross income at progressive rates as according to the above table.

It must be noted that the total tax liability is the general rate plus the tax liability under the autonomous community rates. This means that the final marginal tax rate will vary according to the marginal tax rate of the community where the taxpayer resides. For example, the maximum marginal rate for a resident in Madrid is 44% and 48% for a resident in Cataluña.

Non-residents are taxed at a flat rate of 24% on Spanish-sourced income.

Residents of EU member states and EEA countries are taxed at a flat rate of 19%.

Tax Residency in Spain

When do you become a tax resident in Spain

You become a tax resident in Spain if:

  • You spend more than 183 days in a calendar year in Spain, or
  • The centre of your activities or economic interests is in Spain. A presumption of residence arises if an individual’s family lives in Spain.

Does the 183 day rule apply in Spain


Am I taxed on my global income in Spain

Yes, if you are a resident. Non-residents are only taxed on their Spanish-source income.

Can you set up your own Limited Company in Spain

How long does it take to set up 13 days
How much does it costEUR 1154
Is it easy? Starting a Business Rank: 86. (Source: World Bank)

Tax Calculator in Spain

If you are a contractor and want a calculation on your tax and net retention in Spain, we can supply it to you free of charge.

Using an Umbrella Company for Income Tax in Spain

Contractors in Spain are faced with masses of paperwork and numerous wasted hours filing a tax return unless they find an alternative option. A Spain umbrella company can act as your employer during your stay in the country whilst still allowing you the freedom of a contractor. The only difference is that you submit your timesheets to them; they’ll calculate and pay your taxes as you earn, and then you receive a net wage (as well as documentation for your records).

The companies are experts in Spanish taxation, and they’ll ensure that you keep the largest proportion of your earnings whilst complying with local laws. They can deal with any issues with the Spanish tax office or tax department directly including processing your tax refund if you are eligible.

How We Can Help You with Tax in Spain

We work with numerous umbrella companies in Spain, many of whom are experts in tax and immigration laws. If you have any questions about tax in Spain, we’ll get the answers from them directly so you can rest assured you’ll be getting accurate information. We have comprehensive knowledge of the different services they provide, and can help you find the right company to handle your income tax. We help oil and gas workers, software developers, IT project managers, testers, business analysts and telecommunications contractors get tax efficient payments and sponsorship for their Spanish work permit.

Our advice is 100 percent free, and comes with no obligations. You will be paying taxes in Spain but without the overhead of directly dealing with the Spanish tax authorities. Get in touch with us today for some reliable advice on tax in Spain!


A Contractor’s Guide to Work Permits in Spain

Immigration is one of the primary concerns for any contractor hoping to start working in Spain. Permanent employees will find it easy to get their Spanish work permit because they’ll receive “sponsorship” for their entire stay from their prospective employer.

EU nationals are not required to apply for a work permit to undertake employment in Spain. Non-EU nationals must apply for a work permit. There are two types of work permits in Spain, the Cuenta Ajena and the Cuenta Propia. The Cuenta Ajena is given to those who have a contract with a specific company and the Cuenta Propia is for those who are self-employed.

The Cuenta Ajena is dependent on this sponsorship because it confirms that you’ll be earning money during your stay in the country. Contracting in Spain is more difficult because the work permit is tied to one employer, so you have to change it to suit each new contract. Thankfully, umbrella companies provide a convenient and effective solution to this issue.


How Can Umbrella Companies Help You Get a Work Permit in Spain ?

As your permanent employer, umbrella companies are able to sponsor you for your Cuenta Ajena provided they’re on the register of approved sponsors. Many different companies offer this service, because it makes contracting in Spain infinitely simpler and saves you the hassle of continuous paperwork. Instead of changing your work permit every time you get a new contract, you can just work how you ordinarily would under the same permit. They protect you from the bureaucratic “rain” of legal compliance with the Spanish immigration authorities. They can even deal with the Spanish Embassy directly.

Through their service you may be able to use a business visa to get started quickly and then transition to a work visa in Spain. It depends on your specific visa requirements. Be aware you may have to register for a residence permit in Spain.

    Get a quote

    * signifies required information

    Client comment

    • Great advice and excellent service on contracting and immigration solutions in the UK. I would highly recommend Tim and the team to assist you with accurate, clear and concise contracting advice in the UK or any other country for that matter.

      Prishen Pillay Shell International Trading & Shipping / Global DBA Operations Lead
    • I utilized PEO services with Contractor Taxation & have found the services invaluable. We had to quickly establish a presence in China to meet a perceived large market, knowing how difficult it could be setting up a complete operation there. CT helped us immensely to navigate these waters and establish this beachhead without a lot of the normal distractions associated w/opening a full operation. This allowed us to focus on our client’s expectations and keep us moving forward in the market.

      John Zimmer Charles River Development / Vice-President, Finance