Third Party Sponsorship of Permanent Employees

We get a number of enquiries from employers who wish to offer a candidate permanent work but their company is unable to sponsor work permits. They tend to fall into 3 scenarios:

1) Sending a permanent employee into a country where the company doesn't have an office who can sponsor work permits.

Often the case with new offices in growth markets like China. Until sufficient revenue is established the company is reluctant to establish a large entity. In countries like Saudi Arabia the requirement for a Saudi citizen to have a majority holding in any local company might be a barrier. In all these cases our local partners can help.

The management company sponsors the work permit for the employee and runs their local payroll. They invoice the client and make sure that all local employment, tax and immigration regulations are complied with. If the company decides to establish an office in future then the employee can easily be transitioned over. See a recent case study of a US software house who needed sponsorship of an employee working in their newly established Hong Kong office.


2) Companies who can't sponsor work permits but want to hire a foreign candidate.


This is particularly common in countries like the UK or Australia where a company needs to register with the government before they can sponsor visas for their employees. For employers in the UK to successfully register with the UKBA takes time and can be expensive if you use immigration lawyers to prepare and submit the application. Using an outsourced employer is simpler, quicker and often cheaper.

The management company hires the candidate directly and then "subcontracts" their employment to the client. They invoice the client and run the employees payroll. If the client is able to sponsor the employee in future or the employee no longer requires sponsorship (such as when they get permanent residency) it is easy to transition their employment to the client.



3) Employees who will require sponsorship when their current visa expires.


This happens regularly with employees who are on temporary stay permits such as a working holiday visa or conditional permits such as a spousal visa. The company is unable to sponsor but they want to keep the employee. A third party sponsor can take on the visa and "subcontract" the employment back to the client. The terms and conditions of the employement will remain the same.

This is a common scenario in countries with working holidays like the Tier 5 in the UK or 417 visa in Australia.


In all of these situations our partners can act as an outsourced employer. They can sponsor the employees work permit and then "subcontract" their employment to the employer under the same terms and conditions. This includes fixed-term permanent employment where the salary and conditions are those of a permanent employee, even though the employment duration is set. Contact us to find out more.




Client comment

"Great advice and excellent service on contracting and immigration solutions in the UK. I would highly recommend Tim and the team to assist you with accurate, clear and concise contracting advice in the UK or any other country for that matter."

Prishen Pillay,Global DBA Operations Lead

Shell International Trading & Shipping