Contracting in Spain without an EU Passport

Spain has a lucrative market for contracting because of a large number of financial and technical companies who do project work in Spain and around the world. For years this has been restricted to EU passport holders - even though Spanish employers are always keen to hire contractors from Australia, New Zealand, US and Canada. Now you can contract in Spain as a non-EU national through UK Umbrella Company sponsorship.

Contracting in Spain

How to get a Spanish Work Permit

Work Permits in Spain are tightly controlled, especially in the current economic climate. Previously you need to be sponsored by the end client directly and contracting is not possible for non-EU nationals. However through our partners you are able to utilise a UK Tier 2 (General) Work Permit and the provisions of the European Union to do contracting work in Spain. This involves getting sponsored by a UK Umbrella Company which means you get to take full advantage of tax benefits available to international workers.

How you get a Spanish Work Permit

Get sponsored to work in Spain

If you are seeking permanent work in Spain or wish an employer to sponsor you directly then the best place to start is on the major Spanish job boards or direct on company websites. Spanish companies are only able to hire foreign workers when they have proven a local worker cannot fill the position. It’s quicker and simpler to use a UK work permit – which also means you can work in other European countries and change end client as you wish.

How to Get Sponsored to Work in Spain

Using a UK Work Permit to contract in Spain

The process is quite straightforward. You get sponsored for a Tier 2 UK Work Permit – or if you already have a Tier 2 you transfer your current visa to our partner company. They subcontract your services to the client in Spain. All invoicing is routed through the UK and you will be payrolled in the UK unless you stay more than 183 days in Spain.

Using UK Work Permits for Contracting in Spain

What you need to know:

Processing times can vary, depending on the visa status of the Consultant and their location.

You may have to get entry clearance depending on your nationality (e.g. India, South Africa, etc). This does not apply for non-visa nationals like Australians, American Citizens, New Zealanders, etc. Non-Visa nationals can travel direct to the country and start their employment.

You may need to get a residence permit – this is assessed on a case by case basis.

You may need to pay taxes in country if you are there more than 183 days. Otherwise your tax is paid in UK.


 Send your details for more information

Benefits of using a UK Umbrella Sponsor to work in the EU

-          Can work in multiple countries. Currently this includes: Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Ireland, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Norway, Spain, Sweden. More countries are being added to this list shortly.

-          Guaranteed highest net return on your daily rate

-          After 5 years you can get a British (EU) passport

UK Umbrella Sponsorship for Spain Contracting

Client comment

"Great advice and excellent service on contracting and immigration solutions in the UK. I would highly recommend Tim and the team to assist you with accurate, clear and concise contracting advice in the UK or any other country for that matter."

Prishen Pillay,Global DBA Operations Lead

Shell International Trading & Shipping