USA Work Permits

A Contractor's Guide to Work Permits: 

Immigration is one of the primary concerns for any contractor hoping to start working in the US. Permanent employees will find it easy to get their US work permit because they’ll receive “sponsorship” for their entire stay from their prospective employer.

The US work permit, known more commonly as the B1, H1B, L1, E1 or E2 Visa, is dependent on this sponsorship because it confirms that you’ll be earning money during your stay in the country. Contracting in the US is more difficult because the work permit is tied to one employer, so you have to change it to suit each new contract. Thankfully, umbrella companies provide a convenient and effective solution to this issue. 

How Can Umbrella Companies Help You Get a Work Permit in : 

As your permanent employer, umbrella companies are able to sponsor you for your Visa provided they’re on the register of approved sponsors. Many different companies offer this service, because it makes contracting in the US infinitely simpler and saves you the hassle of continuous paperwork. Instead of changing your work permit every time you get a new contract, you can just work how you ordinarily would under the same permit. They protect you from the bureaucratic “rain” of legal compliance with the US immigration authorities. They can even deal with the US Embassy directly. 

Through their service you may be able to use a business visa to get started quickly and then transition to a work visa in the US. It depends on your specific visa requirements. Be aware you may have to register for a residence permit in the US.


Question and Answers about Work Permits in United States

Q: Is it possible for a foreign national to be sponsored on a Work Permit in United States?
A: Yes. Mexicans and Canadians can obtain TN visas, Australians E3 Visas and all other nationalities must obtain an H1B.

Q: How long does it take to get a United States Work Permit?
A: E3’s take around 4 weeks, TN’s for Mexicans take about 2 weeks and for Canadians 2-3 days (and can be obtained at the border). H1B’s on the other hand take a considerable amount of time and the applicant can only start working in the US on 1st October of any given year.

Q: What is the visa process?
A: For the E3 and H1B a US company will lodge the application in the US and once approved the applicant must have the visa ratified in the US Consulate of their home country. For the TN visas the application for Canadians can be done at the border on entry, the documentation would be need to be collated in advance. For Mexicans the application needs to be made in advance of travelling at the US Consulate in Mexico.

Q: What documentation is required from the candidate?
A: Copies of passport, CV, passport photos, professional references.

Q: How much does it cost?
A: H1B is around $6,000 USD, TN can cost as little as $270 USD and E3 $270 USD.

Q: Can you transfer from a Business Visa to a Work Permit in United States
A: No

Common Questions and Answers about Business Visas in United States

Q: Can you organise business visas for United States?
A: No

Q: How long does it take to process?
A: n/a

Q: How much does a business visa in United States cost?
A: n/a

Q: Can nationals of certain countries enter United States without a Business Visa? For example on an entry visa or visa waiver?
A: Yes but not to work.

Client comment

"Great advice and excellent service on contracting and immigration solutions in the UK. I would highly recommend Tim and the team to assist you with accurate, clear and concise contracting advice in the UK or any other country for that matter."

Prishen Pillay,Global DBA Operations Lead

Shell International Trading & Shipping