Tax In Hungary

One of the most consistently challenging aspects of contracting in Hungary is complying with the country’s tax system. Whether you’re a contractor or a permanent employee, you have to pay tax on all of your earnings whilst you’re in the country. As well as paying tax in Hungary, you might also still be eligible to pay some tax in your home country, and understanding the legislation behind this can be a challenge. Do you get double taxation in Hungary? It will depend on your nationality and the nature of your assignment in Hungary. Getting to grips with the basics of income tax in Hungary and understanding your options helps you work out the best way to organise your affairs.

Paying Income Tax in Hungary through Your Employer

If you’re working in Hungary under a permanent contract, many employers will handle your tax under the PAYE (pay-as-you-earn) system. This means that they calculate and process your taxes in Hungary for you and then send you a net wage. Your income tax, public health insurance, social security and other deductions will all be covered by this payment. This is the easiest way to handle your income tax in Hungary, but contractors may not be offered this service because of their short stay with each employer.

Tax In Hungary

Working Out Income Tax in Hungary Yourself

Anybody who can’t pay their tax in Hungary through PAYE is left with the prospect of filing a tax return and doing everything themselves. Do you know much about Hungarian Tax Law? Does Hungary have a tax treaty with your home country? You will need to find out or find someone who can help! Not only does this eat into your free time, it’s also exceptionally difficult to get the most out of the system. The rules change frequently, so if you’re new to it you may be working on out-dated research and end up paying too much. Income tax in Hungary can be anything from 16 to 20.3 percent, and you need to be sure you are placed in the correct tax brackets.

Using an Umbrella Company for Income Tax in Hungary

Contractors in Hungary are faced with masses of paperwork and numerous wasted hours filing a tax return unless they find an alternative option. A Hungarian umbrella company can act as your employer during your stay in the country whilst still allowing you the freedom of a contractor. The only difference is that you submit your timesheets to them; they’ll calculate and pay your taxes as you earn, and then you receive a net wage (as well as documentation for your records). The companies are experts in Hungary taxation, and they’ll ensure that you keep the largest proportion of your earnings whilst complying with local laws. They can deal with any issues with the Hungarian tax office or tax department directly including processing your tax refund if you are eligible.

How We Can Help You with Tax in Hungary

We work with numerous umbrella companies in Hungary, many of whom are experts in tax and immigration laws. If you have any questions about tax in Hungary, we’ll get the answers from them directly so you can rest assured you’ll be getting accurate information. We also have a comprehensive knowledge of the different services they provide, and we can help you find the right company to handle your income tax. We help oil and gas workers, software developers, IT project managers, testers, business analysts and telecommunications contractors get tax efficient payments and sponsorship for their Hungary work permit. Our advice is 100 percent free, and it comes with no obligations. You will be paying taxes in Hungary but without the overhead of directly dealing with the Hungarian tax authorities. Get in touch with us today for some reliable advice on tax in Hungary!

Send your details for more information